Wednesday 26 January 2011

One Romantic with two views...


Had an interesting conversation recently regarding the ideal relationship. I was accused of having contrasting view towards relationship. Her point was that on one hand I am romantic *reading love dovey books and listening to slow jams* on the other I'm too cold with a straightfoward view on relationship. I think she derived at this conclusion after I recited the lyrics of Fantasia song Bittersweet and read the definition of love by Louis de Berniere in Captain Correlli's Mandolin.

In the song, the singer talks about a past relationship which she isn't quite over yet, even if she said she was, thus in her own world she is still inlove with the ex but she had let go of him for a reason. In Captain Correlli's Mandolin, love is explained in a very strict and technical way. To date I have not found a definition of love that I like more than this.

The question is if I agree with her. Does my own personal views conflict with regards to relationship. I must honestly answer yes! Though I am a romantic, I am however not naïve. I know and understand that there may be many ways to a relationship and there are different measures which applies to whether the relationship is to be considered good. I like the idea of being hopeful but you should not be blind to reality, because regardless of how optimistic you might be, you would eventually have to wake up from any fantasy.

People are often hurt because of optimism, It is good to look forward to something good and be hopeful that your dreams will come true, but at the same time I believe you should be aware of the possibility that these dreams and expectations might possibly not come through.  Like with Civil law, you must weigh everything on the balance of probability.

Though I always encourage people to dream big, those dreams must be reasonable, so if something seem unlikely, move on to something with is possible. Be Hopeful but not naive.

x The Hopeful R0mantic x


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, as it seems we share a lot in common. I am also a romantic, to the extent that I write romance novels. At the same time, I prefer that people be very aware of the whole thing and not get carried away. They should not be naive at all!

    ReplyDelete